Mixed Media Artist

I work primarily in acrylics and collage.I use collage and beewax in my assemblage works and am now completing several shrines using found objects. I have been experimenting with encaustic collage and have found the medium very challenging. The paint is a combination of melted beeswax and pigment. A small amount of damar resin is added for hardness. I mix these paints myself and while painting all custom colors are mixed directly on a hot palette.
I will share my progress with this exciting medium with photos of work in progress and finished pieces.

Monday, May 2, 2011

A Unique Approach to Encaustic Painting

Laura Moriarty

 These examples of artist Laura Moriarty's work show her approach to painting with beeswax.





This example of Laura's work is an encaustic monoprint on paper. The blending of the deep colors and softness of her edges is quite a contrast to her heavily carved pieces below.




Detail of Painting Below






Accretionary Wedge
 In the painting above she paints many layers and then carves back into the wax creating a multi-dimensional surface. 



No comments:

Post a Comment