Mixed Media Artist

I work primarily in acrylics and collage.I use collage and beewax in my assemblage works and am now completing several shrines using found objects. I have been experimenting with encaustic collage and have found the medium very challenging. The paint is a combination of melted beeswax and pigment. A small amount of damar resin is added for hardness. I mix these paints myself and while painting all custom colors are mixed directly on a hot palette.
I will share my progress with this exciting medium with photos of work in progress and finished pieces.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Evolved Landscape




This encaustic painting is 8 X 8 and is painted on a cradled board. A cradle is like a box and it enables the artist to utilize the sides of a painting as well as it's surface. They are quite a bit more expensive to buy but they are a stand alone piece and do not have to be framed. The workmanship on the corners and  back is excellent, so it is worth the price. These are made by the Ampersand company and claybord is the one used for encaustic painting. Here is a close up of the sides. I have painted mine with acrylics as the wax might not be as durable here. But they are finished edges and can be left unpainted.


I have collaged silk organza, that I have hand painted and drawn lines on, to the surface. I've been experimenting with ways to do delicate lines on the wax. I am pleased with this method.

This view shows the lines in the purple ink. The other lines are turquoise blue oil pastels and are applied directly to the wax and then covered with a coat of medium. But they are thicker and not as detailed. 




This detail of the surface shows a close up of the oil pastel and the collaged piece of organza in the upper portion. The small letters also at the top are metal stamps pressed into the wax and filled with a metallic gold paint stick.






This detail shot shows the rectangle of organza with the line drawn. Collage is a good way to achieve a crisp sharp line on the surface of the wax.  Since the organza was painted first and had color it gives a subtle shading over the color it was collaged to.









No comments:

Post a Comment