Mixed Media Artist

I work primarily in acrylics and collage.I use collage and beewax in my assemblage works and am now completing several shrines using found objects. I have been experimenting with encaustic collage and have found the medium very challenging. The paint is a combination of melted beeswax and pigment. A small amount of damar resin is added for hardness. I mix these paints myself and while painting all custom colors are mixed directly on a hot palette.
I will share my progress with this exciting medium with photos of work in progress and finished pieces.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Here Comes The Sun



"Here Comes The Sun"
This painting is also 6" x 8" and painted on a masonite board. I wanted to collage natural plant material into the wax. I used tall blades of fresh green grass, and over a short period of time they turned tan in color. I tried painting them with green wax and it gave them such an unnatural look I removed it. I left the bottom  part of the thinnest blade green. I also tried a sheer green organdy fabric with metallic gold threads running through it. They were cut in blade shapes to simulate more grass. I splattered white tissue paper with watercolor paint in various collors of burnt sienna and collaged those on top of the fabric. In the lower left I inked a rubber stamp I carved with black ink and it made an excellent reproduction on the surface. I can see where this will be a very  useful technique. The look of the fabric through the wax came out nicely and I will try more ezperiments with that, but I'm not extremely pleased with the dried plant material so the jury is still out on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment